Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Where Is Your Foundation?


 
 
I built my house near the water,
So that I could see it’s gentle waves,
Against my neighbor’s instruction,
And despite each warning that he gave.

 Far off I saw a cloud,
Floating lazily in the sky.
I thought for certain it would not come this way,
But continue gliding by.
 
Then more clouds began to gather,
The wind began to blow,
And so I sought the shelter
Of my humble, waterfront bungalow.
 
Thunder began to rumble,
And flashes of lightening filled the sky.
I stole a glance out of my window,
At my neighbor’s house on the rocky mountain high.
 
His home stood strong against the storm,
as it continued to wage,
Safe from the rising waters,
Swirling and bubbling with rage.
 
My frail walls began to tremble,
Shifting violently in the sand.
I was uncertain in that moment,
How many more blows they could withstand.
 
I grabbed the things I treasured most
For I had no time to waste,
And without hesitation,
To my neighbor’s home, I made haste.
 
When the storm subsided,
And the waters began to retreat,
I left the house built on the rock
And stumbled back to mine in defeat.
 
How senseless not to take heed,
And to build my house here on the sand
Without a firm foundation
Against the storm it could not stand.
 
Learn from my story I beg you
And take from it what you can
So that you do not suffer as I have,
For I am the foolish man.

 


Mathew 7:24-27

 

Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

 

As Texans, we are accustomed to storms, storms that seemingly pop up from out of nowhere. We constantly hear radio advertisements warning us to be prepared for spring storms and to seek shelter in a SAFE STURDY place should one occur. We are never advised to seek shelter from a raging storm full of high winds in a tent, a vehicle, or travel trailer. Why, because these things are easily moved. Though they may appear safe on the outside they are missing one extremely important thing, a foundation. These Items are not grounded.

In our spiritual life, we face storms. Storms that cause us to sway this way and that, storms that beat against us, storms that are sent to test us and some that even seek to destroy us. My question is this, where is your foundation? Are we like the wise man who has built his home on a firm foundation, or are we like the foolish man who has built on soft, and moving ground… each of us just waiting to be swept away by the rising waters or howling winds.

Ground yourself in the Lord and in his word, and when the storms of life come your way seeking to wreak havoc on your soul, you will stand strong against them. You will stand in triumph, maybe a little tattered, maybe a little shaken, but firm nonetheless.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment